Sending Electronic Gifts Abroad? Purchase 110 220 Volt Compatible Ones

Here in the United States, the electricity standard we use for most of our electronic devices is 110 volts. There are a few exceptions, like our dryers and ranges, which use special cords and operate using 220 volts. In foreign countries, electricity standards are all different, including the type of plug used in the outlets.

Converter 110 to 220

If you have family and friends who live abroad, it is important to carefully select the right electronic gifts for birthdays, anniversaries, the holidays, and other special occasions. That being said, always read the detailed descriptions about the products you are considering. Somewhere within the product descriptions, or if you can view detailed pictures of the product, there should be a label, typically on the power supply or where the cord connects to the device.

What you are looking for is the reference’s voltage range for the device. For instance, if you look on the back of your laptop power supply, there should be a line that says “AC” or “Input,” or it may be directly after the model number and may not be on a separate line. However, it will be similar to one of the following examples:

  • 110-220 V 50-60 Hz
  • 110V AC 60 Hz
  • 220V AC 50 Hz
  • 115-230V 50-60 Hz

The main thing you are looking for is to ensure the electronic gift will operate at 220V since this is the electricity standard in most foreign countries. However, there are a few exceptions, like in Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, certain Asian countries, and some countries in South America that also use 110V and similar outlet configurations.

If you are not sure what the voltage standard is in a particular country, it is best to find out ahead of time before sending a gift that someone might not be able to use. Once you know what voltage is used, the next thing you need to do is determine whether a 110 220 converter is required.

The key thing to remember with converters is there are differences. One type is designed to step down or step up voltages for devices that use a lot of electricity, like curling irons, hair dryers, and so on. The other type is designed to step up or step down voltages for devices that have a lower power demand, like your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or electronic razor.

Purchase 110 220 Volt Compatible

To determine what type of converter could be needed with your gift, you need to know how many watts it outputs. Watts can be calculated by multiplying volts times amps, or it is provided in some product descriptions or on the same label you find the volts. If the watts used are less than 50, then you can use the second type of converter; whereas, for any devices rated 50 watts or higher, you’ll need the high-powered converter.

Last, you may also need to order a transformer. The transformer is designed to allow the device to operate on both 50 and 60-cycle systems (Hz). If you are not sure whether you need a converter and transformer to accompany your electronic gift, please feel free to contact 110220Volts at 800-827-9978 for further assistance. Plus, remember to check out our wide selection of small electronic items!

Overseas Wedding Must-Have Items!

Planning a wedding is a challenge that isn’t for the faint of heart. Planning a destination wedding overseas requires even more attention to detail. There are many things that people who decide to get married abroad may not think about when planning. Really, how often do stateside wedding planners need to consider 220 110 voltage converters or having documents translated? Not very often!

destination wedding


The first thing you have to do is make sure that it is legal to be married in the country where you’re looking to travel. Some countries require a residency before a couple can legally marry. If the destination of your dreams won’t legally recognize your marriage, consider having a civil service at the courthouse in your hometown for legal purposes. Then have your big wedding ceremony overseas. Don’t allow small details to slip by unnoticed, but don’t let anything derail your plans for your dream wedding overseas.

On-Site Planning

It can be very difficult to arrange a wedding when you’re an ocean or several continents away. Hire a wedding planner in your destination location who can take care of details like arranging the catering, lodging, photographers, and musicians. You can handle as much as possible from home, but working with your wedding planner via Skype and email will make the process smoother and more likely to be free of snags.

Travel Arrangements

Passports, airline flights, immunizations, and other small but important prerequisites will need to be addressed for all the guests. This can be even more challenging if all the guests are leaving from different locations. Organization is a key factor in pulling off the task of getting everyone where they need to be when they need to be there. Your wedding planner may be of some help with this, but a travel agent is better. They can make arranging travel itineraries a breeze for a destination wedding.


Exchanging currency is an important part of planning for a wedding overseas. Exchange rates through Forex companies are often far better than those at local banks, so exchange before you go if at all possible. Many foreign countries are not equipped to accept American money and will refuse to do so at the point of sale.


Prepare for the weather and plan your bridal wardrobe accordingly. Some places overseas have very wet seasons and cooler temperatures, so you shouldn’t assume anything when it comes to what to expect in an exotic locale. If you want a beach wedding, make sure your destination is one that offers a reliable climate, or figure out and book an alternative indoor option at your destination just in case.


You will need more than just a passport to get married overseas. The paperwork is important because, without it, your marriage won’t be valid. Furthermore, it almost always takes a bit of time to obtain necessary documentation, so plan ahead and start early on collecting your documents. Of particular importance, include:

  • Birth certificates
  • Proof of any legal name changes
  • Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage
  • Translated documents from non-English speaking countries
  • Travel and Wedding Insurance

It is a grand adventure to have your wedding in a foreign locale, but it’s also a lot of work. From electrical devices to hotel registration, every little detail must be covered. Let help you make sure you’ve covered all the possible voltage regulator problems that may occur so that your big day goes off without a hitch!

Travel and Wedding Insurance