Traveling to Brazil

Brazil is a large country in South America largely occupied by rain-forest. Did you know that if you travel there, you will find three different types of electrical outlets, all shaped differently? In North America and most of South America, we are used to seeing only one type of outlet. All our electronics and appliances are designed for these outlets, but some countries in South America use many different kinds of outlets. If you’re planning on taking a trip to one of these places, you’ll need to bring a few different types of plug adapters. Otherwise, you won’t be able to use any of the appliances you’ve brought from North America.
Another item you might need to bring is a voltage converter . In addition to different plugs and wall outlets, foreign countries also use a different voltage. The electricity coming out of the wall is 220v in most foreign countries, and the appliances purchased there are designed for that voltage. However in North America and a few other places, like Brazil , the voltage is both 110v and 220v. This means that if you’re traveling to a place that uses 220v, and you want to bring some electronics with you, you’ll probably need a voltage converter just in case you cannot find an area that uses 110v. To find out if you need a voltage converter , simply seek out the voltage of your appliances. It should be listed directly on the devices. If it lists 110v-220v, it is dual-voltage, and you do not need a voltage converter for it.
If it only says 110v, you need a voltage converter , but you should be sure to buy one that has at least a 25% higher wattage than the given appliance. The wattage is a number that is usually listed on the device itself, along with the voltage and amp. However, if it is not listed, simply multiply the voltage by the amp. The product is the wattage. Now you are ready to buy a voltage converter .

Brazil plug adapter
Brazil voltage converter

Are you going to Botswana?

Botswana is a landlocked country in southern Africa. Most of this country’s area is occupied by the Kalahari desert. Are you planning a trip there? The Kalahari desert is a place of great interest to many scientists, but you may just want to experience the rich culture, the warm climate, or the unique food. But you should know that Botswana uses electrical plugs that are probably shaped differently from the ones you are used to in the United States. You might be planning to bring some of your electronics to Botswana , but American-style plugs are not used at all in Botswana . There are six different types of plugs that are used around the world, and most countries outside North and South America use the common three-cylindrical-pronged design. Botswana uses this model, but also a two-prong design. But you do not need to buy new electronics in Botswana in order to use any electronics there. You simply need plug adapters. Purchase both types that you will need in Botswana , and be sure to buy the correct kind, keeping in mind there are six total plug types, and Botswana only uses two.
Most places outside of North America also use a higher voltage current. 110v is the voltage used by North America and most of Central and South America. However, in most other continents, 220v is used. In countries where 220v is used, it is important to bring a voltage converter that has a 25% higher wattage rating than the appliance you are using it for. In Botswana , the voltage used is 220v, the most commonly used voltage. So if you are going to Botswana , be sure to also get a voltage converter . This does not apply if you are bringing dual-voltage appliances. However, single-volt appliances will need a voltage converter . The wattage should be indicated on the indication panel of the devices. If not, multiply the voltage by the amp. Then you can buy the correct voltage converter s for your selected appliances.

Botswana plug adapter
Botswana voltage converter

Going on a trip to Bosnia-Herzegovina

Bosnia-Herzegovina is a small country in south-eastern Europe. In order to use electronics from the United States in Bosnia-Herzegovina , as well as most other countries outside of the American continent, you need two things, a voltage converter and a plug adapter, unless you have dual-voltage electronics. Dual-voltage electronics will work in other countries that use 220v, without a voltage converter . Most countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia use 220v. North America, most of Central America, and much of South America uses 110v. Bosnia-Herzegovina is a country that uses 220v. The rest of Europe mostly uses 220v as well. If you are traveling to Bosnia-Herzegovina , be sure to bring either a voltage converter or dual-voltage appliances. If you try to use single-volt appliances in Bosnia-Herzegovina , you could cause a fire. But how do you know if your electronics are dual-volt or single-volt?
Look for the voltage rating directly on your appliance. If it says 110v, then it is a single-volt appliance. In this case, find the wattage by either looking on the appliance, or multiplying the voltage by the amp. Then, buy a voltage converter for this appliance that has a wattage at least 25% higher than the appliance. This helps the voltage converter to last longer.
But if you found a voltage rating on your appliance that listed 110v-220v, then it is dual-volt. You do not need a voltage converter for these appliances to function in Austria and other countries that use 220v electrical current.
However, even if you are bringing dual-voltage electronics, you still need a plug adapter, because Bosnia-Herzegovina uses a different type of plug than the Americas. But be careful when buying your plug adapter, because there are six different types of plug adapter corresponding to the six different international plug types, and if if you get the wrong one, it won’t work in Bosnia-Herzegovina . So be sure to buy the correct one.

Bosnia-Herzegovina plug adapter
Bosnia-Herzegovina voltage converter

Traveling to Bolivia

Bolivia is a country in central South America. You might be planning on going to Bolivia with some of your personal electronic appliances, but you will not be able to use them unless they are designed for 220v electrical current. Most countries in the Americas use 110v. But a few places, like Bolivia , use both 110v and 220v. So if you are going to Belgium , be prepared for 220v by bringing dual-voltage appliances. If an electronic device is dual-voltage, it means that it accepts both 110v and 220v electrical current. It will indicate this by showing a 110v-220v voltage rating on its indication panel.
But if you do not own any dual-voltage appliances, and don’t want to buy any, you can buy voltage converter s for your single-volt appliances.
voltage converter s attach to your electrical devices and regulate the electrical current coming out of outlets that use 220v. Without a voltage converter , your single-volt appliances are a safety hazard. They will not work, and may cause a fire. If you want to buy voltage converter s for the single-volt appliances you are bringing with you to Belgium , find the wattage rating on the appliances. If it isn’t listed, just multiply the voltage by the amp. When you have this wattage number, buy a voltage converter that is 25% higher in wattage than the appliance you intend to use it with.
Bolivia also uses two different types of electrical plugs. One of them is the plug that you are probably used to, with two flat prongs and one rounded one. However, another type of plug is also used in Bolivia , with three rounded prongs. Bring a plug adapter designed to fit these outlets in case you do not come across any American-style ones. But be sure to get the correct type, because there are six different plug adapters available and it is easy to get confused.

Bolivia plug adapter
Bolivia voltage converter

Going on a trip to Bhutan

Bhutan is a landlocked country in south Asia. If you are planning on vacationing there, or even a business trip, be sure to be prepared. You might want to bring some of your electronics to Bhutan . But did you know that Bhutan uses 220v electrical current, and because of this, your electrical devices will not work there? The United States, and most of Central and South America uses 110v current. All your electrical appliances are designed for this voltage. In fact, if you try to plug one of your devices into an outlet in Bhutan , you could start a fire. There are two ways to use your electronics in foreign countries that use 220v. One is dual-volt electronics, and the other is voltage converter s.
You might already have some dual-voltage appliances. Look for the 110v-220v voltage rating on the appliances. You do not need a voltage converter for these items. Laptop computers, digital cameras, and other items containing lithium or rechargable batteries are often dual-volt. But if you only find a 110v voltage rating, you need a voltage converter , because it is single-volt. You should get a voltage converter that has a wattage 25% higher than the appliance. To find the wattage of your appliances, multiply the voltage by the amp. However it may also be indicated on the appliance itself.
After you’ve taken care of your voltage converter needs, make sure to have plug adapters. Otherwise, your plugs won’t fit into the outlets in Bhutan . Find out what kind of electrical plug is used in the country you’re traveling to. Most countries outside the United States, including Bhutan use a plug with three cylindrical prongs. Some areas in China, most of South America, and most of Central America uses the plug that you are used to, with two flat prongs. However, do not assume that the country you’re traveling to uses one of these two examples, because there are six different designs used in plugs around the world.

Bhutan plug adapter
Bhutan voltage converter